Road opening application

You will need to apply for a Road opening application if you are seeking to carry out excavation within a road, footpath, public reserve or public place for a lawful purpose. You must obtain a permit from council before excavation; takes place by a plumber, drainer, builder or any other person

The purpose of the permit is to ensure works are done in a safe manner and minimising disruption to the public. The permit sets out Council's specifications, including how and by whom the permanent restoration will be undertaken.

An excavation could be for:

  • Replacing a stormwater pipeline across the footpath
  • Connecting water, sewer or gas to a main line in the road or footpath
  • Installing an electricity main within the footpath or road
  • Potholing to located underground services.
  • Geotechnical investigations

Road Opening Declaration

You will need to print off and sign the Road Opening Declaration and include as an attachment when lodging online.

The declaration outlines the conditions, restorations and an agreement between the applicant and the council.

Supporting documentation

We require lodgement of all plans and supporting documentation in digital form as PDF documents. Check the Lodgement Guidelines for Engineering Applications

  • Certificate of Currency – A Certificate of Currency must identify the proposed permit holder as the insured party, with the value of Public Liability Insurance being no less than $20,000,000. The Certificate of Currency must have an expiry date at least three (3) months later than the finish date for the proposed work activity.
  • Road Opening declaration - which outlines the conditions, restorations and an agreement between the applicant and council or a signed paper copy of the form,
  • Other Documents which may be required 
    • TfNSW ROL if applicable

Other authorities

You may need to contact other regional, state or federal authorities before your applications can be approved.

Lodging an application without approval from other authorities will delay the assessment of your application.

Transport for New South Wales (TfNSW)

If the proposed opening requires a closure on, or within 100m of, a TfNSW classified state or regional road or within 100m of a traffic light, the activity cannot commence unless a Road Occupancy License (ROL) has been obtained from the Traffic Management Centre. Activities and the hours of work may be restricted and/or subject to conditions.

Apply online

You will need to print off, sign and scan the Road Opening declaration to include in your application

Press the Apply online button to start the application process, you will be asked to make a payment to complete lodgement.

Payments made by MasterCard or Visa incur a service fee of 0.5%.

Apply in person

Download and print the application form, and lodge when completed to any of our Customer Service Centres

Fees and charges

Payments made by MasterCard or Visa incur a service fee of 0.5%.

A non-refundable application fee is required at submission.

The application fee must be paid in full before the assessment of the application can begin.

We will advise of the remaining fees during review and assessment of the application.

See our current Fees and Charges.

Application fee at lodgement

Application fee $275.00 Per application

Fees after lodgement

Council collects a 3m2 charge for all Road Opening Applications. Openings less than this amount will be refunded upon completion.
Kerb Only Restoration $308.00 Per Linear metre
Gutter Only (including Asphalt Restoration) $450.00 Per Linear metre
Kerb & Gutter Only (including Asphalt Restoration) $552.00 Per Linear metre
Concrete Footpath $357.00 Per square metre
Road - Asphaltic concrete $472.00  Per square metre

Other Fees and charges

Penalty Fee - when work is undertaken without an application $708.00
Emergency repair of road openings Cost +20%

After lodgement

Once your application is received you may be contacted for further information.

If you have any questions, contact on 1300 581 299 Monday to Friday between 8:30am and 5pm.

Similar applications

If you propose to close the road, you will need to apply for a Temporary road closure application