Register a food business

All businesses that sell or process food must register and pay a fee, and are subject to routine food safety inspections.  The registration fee applies to recover the costs of our food safety inspection services that help keep people safe and healthy.

Food manufacturers aren't required to register with us, but must register with the NSW Food Authority

You must register your food business with us if you're preparing or selling food to the public at cafés, restaurants, or convenience stores. 

You must update us if your food business changes name and/or proprietor, or changes ABN details. 

You could face a penalty for operating without registering with us. 

Who needs to register?

The following food businesses must be registered: 

  • Retail food outlets, including: 
    • Café’s, restaurants, takeaway outlets 
    • Retail bakeries 
    • Retail seafood outlets 
    • Delicatessens  
    • Cinemas 
    • Corner and convenience stores 
    • Petrol stations 
    • School and sporting facility canteens 
  • Children's’ service (including childcare or day care) where food is provided 
  • Manufacturer, distributer, caterer, or importer who sells direct to the final consumer. 

Home-based food businesses

Preparing or storing saleable food at home is considered a food business and requires registration.  

You must register your home-based food business and comply with food safety standards.

Visit the Home-based food business page for more information or to register.

Temporary or mobile food businesses

You must register your temporary or mobile food business such as a food truck, cart, stall or stand, (including at markets or festivals) and comply with food safety standards. 

Visit the Temporary or mobile food business page for more information or to register.

Food safety requirements

The design, construction and operation of all permanent and temporary food premises, vendors and stalls, must comply with the relevant requirements of the Food Act 2003, Food Regulation 2015, the Australia New Zealand Food Authority (ANZFA) Food Safety Standards Code, and NSW Food Authority Guidelines for food businesses. 

These provisions include requirements relating to: 

  • The safe handling of food – skills, knowledge, and controls 
  • Health and hygiene requirements 
  • Requirements for food handlers and businesses 
  • Cleaning, sanitising and maintenance 
  • Design and construction of food premises, fixtures, fitting and equipment 

Before you lodge

You will need the following details ready before registering: 

  • Food business details including address and contact details 
  • Development application details of your food premises 
  • Food Safety Supervisor details, (unless exempt)
  • Be ready to pay your application fee when submitting your registration. 

Apply online

Press the Register online button to start the registration process, you will be asked to make a payment to complete lodgement. 

Payments can be made by MasterCard or Visa which incur a service fee of 0.5% 

Apply in person

Download and print the application form, and lodge your completed form at any of Bayside Council’s Customer Service Centres.

Payment is preferred by cheque, money order, debit or credit cards (Visa and Mastercard).  

Payments can be made by MasterCard or Visa which incurs a service fee of 0.5% 

Fees and charges

A registration fee will be charged at lodgement.

Registration fee for a new home-based food business $65.00

Payments made by credit card (MasterCard or Visa) incur a service fee of 0.5%

After lodgement

Once your application is received you may be contacted for further information. 

If you have any questions, contact our Environmental Health Team on 1300 581 299, Monday to Friday between 8:30am and 5pm.

decorative image