Temporary or mobile food business registration

You must register your mobile food business like a food truck or cart, or if you have a food business in a temporary structure such as a stall or stand that operates at periodic or one-off events. 

You will need to appoint a Food Safety Supervisor if you operate at events such as fairs, festivals, markets, and must comply with food safety standards when operating a food business.  

Your temporary food or mobile food vehicle business may be inspected by us at any time, and especially during an event.  

Your mobile food vehicle is not permitted to trade on Councils land, footpaths, roadways, parklands, public parking areas or beachfront locations and/or areas. You can trade on private land, but you must get permission from the landowner before you conduct business. 

Who needs to register?

You must register with us if you are handling or preparing food or drink at a fair, festival or market. You are subject to the same conditions as other food retailers. 

You are also required to register with us if you are operating a food truck or other mobile business where vehicles are used for: 

  • On-site food preparation (e.g. hamburgers, hot dogs and kebabs) 
  • One-step food preparation (e.g. popcorn, fairy floss, coffee and squeezing juices) 
  • Any type of food including pre-packaged food. 

You must appoint a Food Safety Supervisor and meet the requirements of the Food Safety Standards Code

A registration fee applies to recover the costs of our food safety inspection services that help keep people safe and healthy.

You could face a penalty for operating without registering with us. 

Food safety requirements

The design, construction and operation of all permanent and temporary food premises, vendors and stalls must comply with the relevant requirements of the Food Act 2003, Food Regulation 2015, the Australia New Zealand Food Authority (ANZFA) Food Safety Standards and NSW Food Authority Guidelines for food businesses. These provisions include requirements relating to: 

  • The safe handling of food – skills, knowledge and controls 
  • Health and hygiene requirements 
  • Requirements for food handlers and businesses 
  • Cleaning, sanitising and maintenance 
  • Design and construction of food premises, fixtures, fitting and equipment 

Food safety supervisor 

You may need to nominate a Food Safety Supervisor when you register, if you have a mobile food business that processes or sells food.

You must complete a training program provided by a registered training organisation, to become a Food Safety Supervisor.


Our Environmental Health Officers may also carry out inspections of temporary food stalls, vendors or premises, to check compliance with relevant food safety requirements and standards. 

Before you lodge

You will need the following details ready before registering: 

  • Food business details including address and contact details 
  • Food Safety Supervisor details, (unless exempt)
  • Menu and/or list of food or drinks being prepared and/or handled 
  • Floor plan of marquee, stall, vendor vehicle, or premises. See sample plan 
  • Waste disposal 
  • Be ready to pay your application fee when submitting your registration. 

Apply online

Press the Register online button to start the registration process, you will be asked to make a payment to complete lodgement. 

Payments can be made by MasterCard or Visa incur a service fee of 0.5% 

Apply in person

Download and print the application form and lodge your completed form at any of Bayside Council’s Customer Service Centres. 

Payment is preferred by cheque, money order, debit or credit cards (Visa and Mastercard).  

Payments can be made by MasterCard or Visa which incurs a service fee of 0.5% 

Fees and charges

A registration fee will be charged at lodgement.

Registration fee for an outlet $283.50
Registration fee for a stall $141.00

Payments made by credit card (MasterCard or Visa) incur a service fee of 0.5% 

After lodgement

Once your application is received you may be contacted for further information. 

If you have any questions, contact Council’s Environmental Health Team on 1300 581 299, Monday to Friday between 8:30am and 5pm.

decorative image