Preparing your application

The steps involved in preparing your development application.

Check the planning controls

These documents set out the restrictions and controls on development in the Bayside area.

There is one Local Environmental Plan:

There are two Development Control Plans:

There are also a number of physical constraints that you need to consider.

You can view the zones and controls that apply to your property on our online mapping tool.

More information about planning controls.

Determine the approval you need

The level of approval you need depends on the nature of your project.

Development usually fall into four categories:

  • Exempt development – simple projects where we don’t need to approve the development
  • Complying development – we certify the development through a fast-track process
  • Local development requiring consent – we need to approve a development application
  • Prohibited development -  the proposal is not permitted on the site.

More information:

Consult with your neighbours

We recommend you consult with your neighbours before you submit your proposal. This gives you an opportunity to identify their concerns early in your project.

For complying developments, the certifier will write to your neighbours and inform them of the proposal.

For development requiring consent, the proposal will be advertised publicly and your neighbours will have the opportunity to make a submission.

More information:

Prepare your plans

Your plans must include:

  • scale drawings that show your proposal
  • a detailed site plan that shows all structures, boundaries, adjacent properties, trees and pools
  • a detailed floor plan with dimensions of walls, stairs, facilities and car parks
  • an elevation plan, including all stories, boundaries and setbacks, colours and materials, roof levels and ceiling levels
  • shadow diagrams that show the impact of the development on the longest and shortest days of the year. These must show neighbouring properties
  • estimated cost of the development, based on industry standards and including all materials and labour.

Swimming pools and commercial, retail and industrial properties have additional requirements.

You must also obtain written consent from every owner of the property and provide their contact details. If the owner is a corporation, you must state your role.

Prepare a statement of environment effects

Every complying development and local development requiring consent must have a statement of environmental effects.

A statement of environmental effects explains the environmental impact of your project, during construction and after the development is complete.

If your project is small and the environmental effects are minor, you only need to complete a brief statement and checklist.

Larger projects need a lot more information. Your statement of environment effects must include:

  • a clear and detailed description of the proposal
  • site location and analysis
  • a statement indicating how the proposal complies with the relevant policies (see below)
  • an assessment of impacts of your proposal
  • mitigation strategies.

Relevant policies include:

There may be a lot of other items we need attached to your statement, depending on the nature of the development. We recommend you seek some advice when compiling your statement.

Additional requirements relevant to your development

You may need to submit more information depending on whether your development:

If these apply to your project, we recommend you seek some advice.

Additional technical requirements

Your proposal may need to include:

  • impacts of flooding and mitigations
  • stormwater and floodwater management plans
  • geotechnical report
  • how you will deal with contamination in the land
  • acid sulphate soils report
  • wind tunnel testing report
  • Sydney airport report
  • acoustic report
  • traffic and parking impact assessment report
  • access report
  • BASIX certificate.

These requirements are addressed in the Development Control Plans and Local Environmental Plans.

We recommend you seek some advice about whether any of the technical requirements above are relevant to your project.

Declaring political donations

You must make a disclosure statement if you have:

  • made a political donation to a Councillor or 
  • provided a gift to a Councillor or Council employee

More information: