Regulated premises - shared accommodation

You will need to register if you operate a place of shared accommodation that provides housing for a fee like a boarding house.

Bayside Council has the primary role in approving new boarding houses through the Development Application process.

We also inspect and enforce health, building and safety requirements in existing boarding houses.

All places of shared accommodation:

A registration fee applies to recover the costs of our inspection services. Inspections are carried out to ensure the premises are kept to health and safety standards.

There is a penalty for operating without registering with us. 

Supporting documents

You will need the following documents ready before applying: 

  • Details of other relevant approvals - e.g. DA / consent 
  • Supply proof of ABN / ACN. Refer to for details. 

Apply online

Press the Apply online button to start the registration process, you will be asked to make a payment to complete lodgement. 

Payments can be made by MasterCard or Visa which incur a service fee of 0.5% 

Apply in person

Download and print the application form and lodge when completed to any of our Customer Service Centres.  

Payment is preferred by cheque, money order, debit or credit cards (Visa and Mastercard).

Payments made using a credit card will incur a service fee of 0.5%.

Fees and charges

Payments made by MasterCard or Visa incur a service fee of 0.5%.

Fee Value
Registration fee for new regulated premises or change of ownership details. $65.00


After lodgement

Once your application is received you may be contacted for further information. 

If you have any questions, contact on 1300 581 299 Monday to Friday between 8:30am and 5pm.