Stand and operate registered vehicle or plant application

You require approval from Bayside Council if you are planning to stand and operate a registered vehicle or standing plant on our roads

An approved permit allows for a parked vehicle to occupy and work on any part of the road, footpath, or Bayside Council carpark.

You must get a permit for construction activities that involve working from a vehicle parked on the street, including mobile crane, concrete truck, concrete pump, or another similar vehicle.

Other authorities

You may need to contact other regional, state or federal authorities before your applications can be approved.

Lodging an application without approval from other authorities will delay the assessment of your application.

Transport for New South Wales (TfNSW)

If the proposed occupation is on, or within 100m of, a TfNSW classified state or regional road or within 100m of a traffic light, the activity cannot commence unless a Road Occupancy License (ROL) has been obtained from the Traffic Management Centre. Activities and the hours of work may be restricted and/or subject to conditions.

Bus Operator

You will be required to obtain approval from the Bus Operator if the proposed occupation is on the carriageway impacting an existing bus route, or adjacent to an existing bus stop. .

Local Police

You will need to gain approval from the Local Police Command if the proposal seeks to occupy the carriageway, and/or the full road.

Sydney Airport Corporation Limited / Civil Aviation Safety Authority

A mobile crane requires approval from Sydney Airport Corporation Limited (SACL) or Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) under the Airports (Protection of Airspace) Regulations 1996 for the penetration into airspace.

Sydney Airport is in the Bayside Council Local Government Area (LGA) so the majority of the LGA is protected airspace, which can also be known as “prescribed airspace”.

You must contact SACL or CASA and inform them of planned work and obtain their approval. You must provide Bayside Council with evidence of approval or that SACL has confirmed it’s not required.

Supporting documentation

We require lodgement of all plans and supporting documentation in digital form as PDF documents. Check the Lodgement Guidelines for Engineering Applications

  • Traffic Management Plan – A plan (prepared by TfNSW accredited person) in compliance with TfNSW Traffic Control at Work Sites Manual Guidelines – AS1742.3 and Work Cover NSW regulations.
  • Certificate of Currency – A Certificate of Currency must identify the proposed permit holder as the insured party, with the value of Public Liability Insurance being no less than $20,000,000. The Certificate of Currency must have an expiry date at least three (3) months later than the finish date for the proposed work activity.
  • Mobile Crane Details – A set of drawings for the proposed mobile crane including mass, length and width
  • Slewing Diagrams – A site plan showing the location of the hoisting equipment on the site or on the building, the area of the roadway from which material will be hoisted over and where the crane is proposed. A drawing showing the slewing movement of the crane boom or crane jib in a horizontal plane over roadways and surrounding properties 
  • SACL / CASA letter – Written consent from SACL or CASA that provides concurrence for the occupation of the airspace. Approval must be granted under the Airports (Protection of Airspace) Regulations 1996
  •  TfNSW Approval – A Road Occupancy Licence must be obtained from TfNSW for approval of the occupation of roadway on a Classified Road
  • Other approvals such as bus operator and local police approval.

Apply online

Press the Apply online button to start the registration process, you will be asked to make a payment to complete lodgement.

Payments made by MasterCard or Visa incur a service fee of 0.5%.

Apply in person

Download and print the application form, and lodge when completed to any of our Customer Service Centres.

Fees and charges

Payments made by MasterCard or Visa incur a service fee of 0.5%. 

A non-refundable application fee is required at submission. The assessment of the application will not commence until the application fee has been paid.

You will be charged fees at lodgement depending on the standing plant and number of days.

We may advise you of any additional fees after assessment of the application and payment will be required prior to any approval. See our Fees and Charges.

Fees paid at lodgement.

Application fee $308.00 Per application

Crane/Concrete Truck/Other work vehicle occupying 1 traffic lane/parking lane

$306.00 Per day

Crane/Concrete Truck/Other work vehicle occupying 2 traffic lane/parking lane

$610.00  Per day

Crane/Concrete Truck/Other work vehicle off-streetcar parking (Bayside Council car park)

$25.00 Per day per space

You will need to pay for two (2) lanes if you are proposing to pump concrete, or use a mobile crane, from the street:

  • One (1) parking lane on the roadway and
  • One (1) footpath lane to pump across.

After lodgement

Once your application is received you may be contacted for further information.

Your application is not a permit to undertake work. Your permit will only be issued after assessment, approval and outstanding fees are paid in full.

A minimum period of 10 working days is required to assess the application.  Longer processing times are required for large works or for activities on Classified roads, which require the concurrence from relevant stakeholders.

If you have any questions, contact on 1300 581 299 Monday to Friday between 8:30am and 5pm