Public land access application

You will need approval from Bayside Council if you plan to gain access through, or to occupy Council land like parklands or reserves.

We may permit temporary access through, or occupation of, parks and reserves under certain conditions for works within or associated with adjoining properties.

The maximum time permitted for temporary access is 14 days, with extensions only granted under certain circumstances.

We may restrict the access and occupation of parklands and reserves with the following attributes:

  • Environmentally sensitive areas like wetlands, contamination, and riparian zones
  • Areas listed as heritage items or provide heritage significance
  • Leased and/or owned by other authorities.

Approvals are assessed on an individual basis by balancing needs of the proposed development, as well as other community members who use the road.

Approvals aren’t guaranteed and we have the right to refuse any application.

Supporting documentation

Bayside Council requires lodgement of all plans and supporting documentation in digital form as PDF documents. Check the Electronic Lodgement Guidelines for Engineering Applications

The following documents should be included as part of your application:

  • Plan showing the extent of access with dimensions – a diagram indicating the entry point into the area for occupation/access, with dimensions of occupation.
  • Certificate of Currency – A Certificate of Currency must identify the proposed permit holder as the insured party, with the value of Public Liability Insurance being no less than $20,000,000. The Certificate of Currency must have an expiry date at least three (3) months later than the finish date for the proposed work activity.
  • Traffic Management Plan – A Plan (prepared by TfNSW accredited person) in compliance with TfNSW Traffic Control at Work Sites Manual Guidelines – AS1742.3 and Work Cover NSW regulations.
  • Dilapidation report - a detailed record with photo image of assets at a given point.

Apply online

Press the Apply online button to start the application process, you will be asked to make a payment to complete lodgement.

Payments made by MasterCard or Visa incur a service fee of 0.5%.

Apply in person

Download and print the application form, and lodge when completed to any of our Customer Service Centres.

Fees and charges

Payments made by MasterCard or Visa incur a service fee of 0.5%.

A non-refundable application fee is required at lodgement. The assessment of the application will not commence until the application fee has been paid.

We will advise of the remaining fees during review and assessment of the application. See our Fees and Charges.

Application Fee paid at lodgement.

Application fee $308.00 Per application

Fees and Charges paid after lodgement.

Security deposit $34.50 Per square metre (min bond $1,500)
Public Land and/or Easement Temporary Access Fee –Passage over $368.00 Per application 
Public Land Occupancy $2.00 Per square metre per week
Key Deposit – to be charged for the allocation of all keys $60.00 Fully refunded on return of key.

After lodgement

Once your application is received you may be contacted for further information.

Your application is not a permit to undertake work. Your permit will only be issued after assessment, approval and outstanding fees are paid in full.

A minimum period of 10 working days is required to assess the application.  Longer processing times are required for large works or for activities on Classified roads, which require the concurrence from relevant stakeholders.

If you have any questions, contact on 1300 581 299 Monday to Friday between 8:30am and 5pm