Occupy road with unregistered item application

You will need approval to place a skip bin, or any other item which is not a registered vehicle on public land such as a roadway or verge.

You don’t need a permit if the item is placed completely within your property.

Bayside Council won’t issue approval permits for the occupation of the roadway or nature strip for shipping containers or storage pods.

Permits are assessed on an individual basis to balance the needs of the development being undertaken and other community members who use the road. Approvals are not guaranteed, and we have the right to refuse any application.

Single dwelling residences fee exemption (maximum 5 days)

Your application is exempt from the application fee if you need a skip bin for a single dwelling residence for up to 5 days, but you will be charged occupancy fees.

You will be charged both the application fee and skip bin occupation fees, if you need a skip bin more than 5 days

Skip bins size and locations

The below table details the maximum size and location permitted for skip bins.

Location Max Length Max Width Clearance
Footway or grass verge 7.0m 2.5m Minimum 1.5m clearance either side for pedestrian access
Road* 7.0m 1.7m Skip bin not to project into traffic lane or impede flow of water in the gutter.

*Skip bins will only be allowed on a road where a car may be legally parked under the Road Rules 2014, whether signposted or not. Skip bins placed on a road must be parallel to the kerb.

We will not approve a proposal that:

  • Has the potential to create the risk of injury to persons
  • Obstructs access by emergency vehicles
  • Doesn't provide for safe pedestrian and vehicular access.

Supporting documentation

The following documents should be included as part of your application:

  • Location Plan –showing the location and dimensions of the skip bin or unregistered item on the Council land and/or roadway. This is a diagram showing your property and where you want to place the skip bin or unregistered item.
  • Certificate of Currency – A Certificate of Currency must identify the proposed permit holder as the insured party, with the value of Public Liability Insurance being no less than $20,000,000. The Certificate of Currency must have an expiry date at least three (3) months later than the finish date for the proposed work activity. You can get this from your skip/construction waste bin supplier.
  • Traffic Management Plan – A plan (prepared by TfNSW accredited person) in compliance with TfNSW Traffic Control at Work Sites Manual Guidelines – AS1742.3 and Work Cover NSW regulations.
  • TfNSW Approval – A Road Occupancy Licence must be obtained from TfNSW for approval of the occupation of roadway on a Classified State or Regional Road.

We required lodgement of all plans and supporting documentation in digital form, like a PDF. Check the Electronic Lodgement Guidelines for Engineering Applications

Other authorities

You may need to contact other regional, state or federal authorities before your applications can be approved.

Lodging an application without approval from other authorities will delay the assessment of your application.

If the proposal is on, or within 100m of, a TfNSW Classified State or Regional Road or within 100m of a traffic light, the activity can’t commence unless a Road Occupancy License (ROL) has been obtained from the Traffic Management Centre.

Activities and the hours of work may be restricted and/or subject to conditions.

Apply online

Press the Apply online button to start the registration process, you will be asked to make a payment to complete lodgement.

Payments made by MasterCard or Visa incur a service fee of 0.5%.

Apply in person

Download and print the application form and lodge when completed to any of our Customer Service Centres.

Fees and charges

Payments made by MasterCard or Visa incur a service fee of 0.5%.

A non-refundable application fee is required at lodgement, except for single dwelling applications. Assessment of the application will not start until the application fee has been paid.

We will advise of any remaining fees during review and assessment of the application. See our Fees and Charges.

Fees paid at lodgement

Application fee * $308.00 Per application
*Single dwelling residences - up to 5 days exempt from the application fee.
Occupancy fee - small skip bin (< 2.5 cu.m) $19.80 Per day rate
Occupancy fee- large skip bin (> 2.5 cu.m) $40.00 Per day rate
Occupancy fee - other permissible items $4.00 Per lineal metre per day
Off-street car parking space (in a Bayside council car park) $25.00 Per space, per day
Removal charges – removal of unauthorised items by Bayside Counci At cost Per Instance


After lodgement

Once your application is received you may be contacted for further information.

Your application is not a permit to undertake work. Your permit will only be issued after assessment, approval and outstanding fees are paid in full.

A minimum period of 10 working days is required to assess the application. Longer processing times are required for large works or for activities on Classified roads, which require the concurrence from relevant stakeholders.

If you have any questions, contact on 1300 581 299 Monday to Friday between 8:30am and 5pm.