Apply for a Parking Permit
If you are a resident in an area with time restricted parking, you may be eligible for a permit that will legally enable you to exceed the time limit. We offer Resident Parking Schemes in designated areas.
2022-23 Resident parking permit renewals
2021-22 parking permits are due to expire on 30 September 2022. You will receive a renewal letter in coming weeks with instructions on how to extend your parking permit for 2022-23.
Please visit our Service centres in Eastgardens or Rockdale if you have changed your mailing address or do not receive your renewal letter by 12 September.
Resident parking permits
Resident parking permits are issued to eligible residents that live within a property located in a designated resident parking scheme (RPS). Visitor permits can be used by people who are visiting the property. An application form needs to be completed and payment can be made at our Customer Service Centres in Eastgardens or Rockdale.
Permits exclude eligible residents and visitors, from parking time limits in designated parking spaces where the signage includes the words 'permit holders excepted'. A parking permit does not exempt the vehicle from general road rules and signs such as ‘no parking’ and it does not guarantee the availability of a parking space.
Resident Parking Permits are issued annually and expire on 30 September each year. A Visitor Parking Permit is valid for 24 hours.
You do not require a resident parking permit if you hold a current NSW Mobility Parking Scheme Permit or an Australian Disability Parking Permit.
If you would like to confirm any of the following;
- If you live in a resident parking area OR
- What resident parking scheme zone are you a part of OR
- What streets are a part of your resident parking scheme zone and allowed to park in with exemptions from timed parking restrictions using your permit
- you can use our online mapping system.
You’ll need to accept the online maps terms and conditions and then select the parking scheme filter on the left hand side.
To be eligible for a parking permit you must:
- Live in a property within a designated resident parking scheme, and have one or fewer off street parking spaces.
- Have a current vehicle registration certificate, or a letter on company letterhead from your employer advising that you have use of the vehicle, and the address at which it will normally be parked.
- Own a vehicle that is not a truck, bus, tram, tractor or trailer (boat or caravan).
You are ineligible for a resident parking permit if you live in a:
- Property that is not located within a designated resident parking scheme
- Commercial property or a hotel.
- Residential flat building, dual occupancy or other development that was constructed after January 2013 in Botany or Mascot.
- Boarding house that obtained Development Application Approval after 1 June 2016.
- Residential flat buildings, dual occupancies and dwelling house developments in Arncliffe, Dolls Point, Kogarah West, Rockdale, Wolli Creek areas that were not a part of the scheme before September 2016.
Off street parking
If there is off-street parking on the property then it must be used.
Off-street parking is deemed to be available when it can accommodate a medium-sized passenger vehicle and the space measures at least 2.6m wide and 5.4m long. In determining whether an on-site parking space exists, the Council may review:
- Vehicle accessibility.
- The existence of a driveway.
- The presence of a carport, garage structure, garage door or roller door.
- Evidence of the space being used for parking.
- Any approved or registered plans.
Residents are required to disclose on the application form how many on-site parking spaces they have.
Permit eligibility criteria
|Parking spaces on property||Eligibility|
|0||Maximum 2 permits issued|
|1||1 permit issued - if you own more than one vehicle
0 permit issued - if you own one vehicle
|2 or more||0 permit issued|
We understand there may be exceptional circumstances where a permit may be warranted outside the eligibility criteria, such applications will be individually assessed on merit. Having more vehicles than what can be accommodated within the eligibility criteria is not considered an exceptional circumstance.
A maximum of one permit per bedroom may be issued for a resident residing in an eligible boarding house, that does not have on-site parking.
Visitor parking permits
Daily parking permits can be issued to visitors e.g tradespeople and carers, attending the property. A permit is valid for 24hrs. Permits can be purchased by the resident, in packs of 10 with a maximum of 5 packets issued per annum.
Our friendly Customer Service staff can help you at our Eastgardens or Rockdale Customer Service Centres. Permit lodgements are accepted up to 30 minutes before close of business (subject to change).
Fees and charges
Please refer to our Fees and Charges for 2022-2023 for charges for residents/occupants with a valid Pensioner/Concession Card, standard resident/occupant permit, exceptional circumstances (conditions apply) and reprint of permit eg. damage or vehicle change.
An eligible pensioner is the:
- holder of a PCC (Pensioner Concession Card) - the blue card
- holder of a Gold Card embossed with "TPI" (Total Permanently Incapacitated)
- holder of a Gold Card embossed with "EDA" (Extreme Disablement Adjustment); and
- war widow or widower or wholly dependent partner who is in possession of a blue Pensioner Concession Card
All other types of cards eg. Seniors Cards; Health Cards etc are not eligible.
Please ensure you review permit criteria under Eligibility before purchasing a new parking permit or renewing an existing permit.
You can purchase a new permit by downloading the Resident Parking Permit Application form. You can email the completed form with supporting documents to email@example.com, or post to: PO Box 21 Rockdale NSW 2216
You may also return the form and supporting documents to one of our service centres in Eastgardens or Rockdale.
Please note we are experiencing a high volume of permit requests and it may take up to 3 business days to process your application.