Families and Children
We recognise the importance of supporting families and children by offering a range of events, activities, information and support throughout the year.
Garrigarrang Early Education and Care Centre - Now Open - Join the Waiting List!
Council new child care centre at 2 Garrigarrang Avenue, Kogarah is now open.
This state of the art centre overlooks Scarborough Park, on the edge of the development known as Ramsgate Park. It has been constructed across 2 levels and includes a large balcony area, exciting outdoor play environment and generous internal facilities.
The centre has 66 places for children aged 0-5 years.
Choosing the right child care is one of the most important decisions a family will make. Please consider the options early and consider the type of child care to best suit your family’s needs.
You will find more information on our Children’s Services pages.
The Australian Children's Education and Care Authority’s website Starting Blocks assists families to locate a suitable child care service by providing information about services.
Participating in a playgroup can benefit parents, grandparents, carers and children from 0 to 5 years of age. There are several community-run or private playgroups available across Bayside. Most playgroups are held on the same day, once a week. To find a local playgroup please contact Playgroup NSW.
In NSW children can start kindergarten at the beginning of the school year if they turn 5 on or before 31 July in that year. In NSW, all children must be enrolled in school by their 6th birthday.
There are a number of public, private and independent schools across Bayside. To find a school near you, visit the Australian Schools Directory
Our Libraries offer a variety of services and programs for children. These programs cater for babies to school aged children.
Early intervention services
Early Childhood Intervention Services are designed to assist families with young children from birth until they enter the school system. Early Childhood Intervention is a term used to describe a range of services designed to assist with developmental concerns or delays, or diagnosed disabilities.
Early Childhood Intervention in Australia is a National organisation providing advocacy and information on early childhood intervention. Parentline NSW supports The Early Childhood Intervention Infoline, a telephone service for families who have questions about their child’s development or who have a child who has been diagnosed with a disability.
Child and family health services
The Child and Family Health Nursing Service provides support for all families caring for children 0-5 years of age. All centres are staffed by Registered Nurses with additional qualifications in Child and Family Health Nursing.
The Child and Family Health Service is a free service available to all families providing support, information and health advice, including (but not limited to) Feeding Support, Parent Groups, Blue Book checks, Developmental Screening, Sleep & Settling advice and adjustment to parenting support.
For further information please contact:
- (02) 9548 4300 or fax (02) 9520 8772 for Bayside (Rockdale area or south of the airport), Georges River and Sutherland Shire LGA
- (02) 9382 0933 or fax (02) 9382 0920 for Bayside (Botany area or north of the airport), Waverley, Woollahra, Randwick and part of City of Sydney LGA (east of Darling Harbour)
Immunisation protects the community against vaccine-preventable diseases. Each vaccine plays an important role, so timely vaccination is the best way to protect your child and family.
The immunisation schedule provides a summary of the vaccines and the ages at which they should be given. Timely vaccination is the best way to keep your child protected from serious vaccine-preventable diseases. It is important to book ahead and make an appointment with your doctor or visit your local immunisation clinic.
Child car seats
By law all children must be safely fastened in the correct child car seat for their age and size. More information on child restraints, safe installation and current laws can be found online.
Council has available limited vouchers for one (1) free child car restraint check/fitting for Bayside residents only. Conditions apply.
Round 1 closed
Round 2 closed
Round 3 closed
For more information please email Council's Road Safety Officer.
More information is available online on authorised fitting services in your area.
Kidsafe NSW provides parenting resources promoting child injury prevention and education. KidSafe NSW has a wealth of information about current news and events as well as resources, information sheets and fun educational video clips.
Useful Links for Families
- Parking Safely Around Schools
- NSW Department of Family & Community Services
- NSW Department of Education
- NSW Department of Health
- NSW Department of Housing
- The mychild.gov.au website - Australia's online childcare portal, with information on different types of childcare and how to get assistance with the cost
- Resourcing Families - Information and ideas for families, friends and allies of people with disability
- Keep Them Safe - The NSW Government's action plan to re-shape the way family and community services are delivered in NSW
- Parentline New South Wales - A telephone counselling, information and referral service for parents of children ages 0 to 18 who live in New South Wales
- NSW Sport and Recreation - Lists the services and facilities offered in NSW for participation in sport and recreation
- Keep Watch and Keep Them Alive - Find out more about supervising children near water and preventing drowning
- Healthy Kids - Ideas and resources to keep a healthy lifestyle
- Relationships Australia - Resources and counselling for couples, individuals, and families
- NAPCAN - Positive approaches to discipline and strategies to prevent child abuse and neglect
- Raising Children - Comprehensive and practical child health and parenting information for children aged 0-8 years
- Kids Helpline - A confidential counselling service for children aged 5 to 18 years
- Bullying. No Way! - For children who may be having problems with bullying
- Beyond Blue - A service to help with depression
- Active Kids - A NSW Government initiative of encouraging kids to get active
- Let's Read - Supports families to share words, rhymes, songs, books and stories with their children anywhere, anytime
- How to Deal with Cyberbullying and Substance Abuse
Helping Learner Drivers Become Safer Drivers Workshop
Council provides residents of the Bayside Council Local Government Area, two free Graduated Licensing Scheme (GLS) workshops for supervisors of learner drivers. These two hour workshops give tips on how to guide learner drivers to be safer drivers;
- Current driving rules and requirements for L and P platers
- How learners benefit from supervised on-road driving
- How you can help make learning to drive a safe and positive experience
When: Thursday 18 March 2021, from 6pm to 7:30pm
Where: Online Zoom Meeting (link to be provided when booking)