Neighbourhood services

Abandoned Trolleys

You can report abandoned trolleys to the respective company’s trolley collectors which should then be picked up within 24 hours. Council will impound trolleys that have been reported, identified and not collected within a 48 hour period.

If you have a safety concern with an abandoned trolley, you can lodge a report with us using our Online Services.

Woolworths, Dan Murphy's, Big W and IKEA (Tempe)

Call 1800 641 497 or report online using Trolley Tracker (also available in the App and Play Stores)

Coles, Kmart, Target and Officeworks

Call 1800 TROLLEY (1800 876 553) or report online using Coles' Abandoned Trolley form or download the Coles app (available in the App and Play Stores) and select "Report abandoned trolley


Call 132 534 or report online using Aldi's Customer Service form


Call 1300 554 777 or report online using Bunnings Contact Us form 


Call your local IGA

Noise and Disturbance

Noise generated by ventilation machines, air conditioning units, vehicles, loud parties and construction sites can be a serious concern for residents, and may be cause for complaint. Noise can affect people in a number of ways, and can vary from inconvenience to sleep disturbance.

  • Loud parties
  • Vehicle noise
  • Construction Sites

To initiate reporting a noise complaint in Bayside, please complete this Noise Diary. This will assist Council in taking further action.

In responding to noise complaints, Council will consider the Protection of the Environment Operations Act 1997 and its definition of “offensive noise” to determine if an activity is or has been carried out in an environmentally unsatisfactory way.

For more information, please either contact Customer Service on 1300 581 299 / or visit the website of the NSW Environment Protection Authority.

Loud Parties

Noise from house parties is not a criminal offence. However, warnings and orders can be issued to help limit the noise if it is ongoing.

If you are experiencing repeated instances of noise from a loud party from your neighbour late at night;

  • Have you tried talking to your neighbour making the noise to see if you can resolve it amicably?
  • You can apply to the local court for an abatement direction for the noise to cease or not recur under the Protection of Environment Operations Act (POEO). This is enforceable for 28 days after it is served and can result in penalties if not complied with
  • You can contact the Police, who can;
  • issue a warning for a one-off party
  • if the warning is not complied with, can issue an abatement direction under the Protection of Environment Operations Act (POEO) to cease the noise

The NSW EPA has more information about dealing with noise.

Vehicle Noise

If there is a vehicle in your neighbourhood with a noisy exhaust issue this can be reported to the NSW Environment Protection Authority (EPA).

To report a noisy exhaust, you will need to provide the following information;

  • Your name and phone number (these details will be kept confidential)
  • The registration plate of the vehicle (for vehicles registered in NSW, ACT, Queensland, South Australia and Victoria)
  • A description of the vehicle - make, model, colour and type
  • The street and suburb where the vehicle was observed
  • The date and time the vehicle was observed

Reports must be submitted within 14 days of observing a vehicle. The EPA will only take action on reports of noisy vehicles where the source of the noise is the vehicle exhaust. For more information, please contact the EPA's Environment Line on 131 555.

Construction Sites

Allowable Work Hours

We ask builders and site managers to comply with;

7:00am to 5:00pm Monday to Saturday

With no construction to take place on Sundays or Public Holidays

With the exception of where a Development Consent is issued before 1 September 2021 which may identify other hours. The Development Consent can be found on the DA Tracker.

However please note that Complying Development Certificates have different hours of construction: Monday to Saturday 7am to 5pm as they are approved under the State Environmental Planning Policy (Exempt and Complying Development) 2008.

What to do if the noise is excessive?

If you consider that there is an unreasonable level of construction noise coming from a site, you should firstly contact the Certifier managing the site. This can either be a Private Certifier or Council. These details should have been provided to you before the works commenced onsite via mail or found on the site fence.

Alternatively, please contact Council on 1300 581 299 or use our Online Services.