Bayside has many beautiful areas of bushland, wetlands and dunes which are home to a wide variety of native plants and animals. Bushcare volunteers are essential in helping restore and maintain these important areas.
Becoming a bushcare volunteer has many benefits, including:
- Learning new skills
- Learning about environmental issues
- Keeping your mind and body active
- Hands-on experience
- Meeting new people and making lifelong friends.
Everyone is welcome, with no prior bushcare or horticulture experience required. Volunteer activities include:
- Weed removal
- Plant identification
- Fauna surveys
- Seed collection.
Bushcare volunteers should wear long trousers, long sleeved shirt, covered shoes (boots are best) and a hat. You may find gardeners knee pads, or a kneeling pad are also useful. Bushcare can be hot so bring a large water bottle
We will provide hand sanitiser, sunscreen, a set of tools, and gloves. We also provide morning tea, so bring your own cup.
Help prevent the spread of infection and avoid joining Bushcare activities if you are unwell.
There are six Bushcare groups in Bayside:
- Lambert Road Reserve, Bardwell Park
- Location: Reserve entrance is next to 4 Lambert Road or 75 Darley Road
- Time: 9am-12pm on the first Saturday of each month
- Hawthorne Street Natural Area, Ramsgate
- Location: Leo Smith Reserve, meet at the corner of the tennis courts, and near the walking track
- Time: 9am-12pm on the second Saturday of each month
- Binnamittalong Gardens, Bexley
- Location: Meet at the end of Veron Road
- Time: 9am-12pm on the third Saturday of each month
- Sir Joseph Banks Park, Botany
- Location: Meet at the park information sign, corner of Folkestone Parade and The Esplanade
- Time: 1pm-3pm on the third Saturday of each month
- Kyeemagh Boat Ramp Reserve
- Location: Meet at the Kyeemagh Community Hub next to the hockey field
- Time: 10am-12pm on the third Thursday of each month
- Stotts Reserve, Bexley North
- Location: Meet next to 156 Kingsland Road North
- Time: 9am-12pm on the fourth Saturday of each month