Neighbourhood services

Abandoned trolleys

Report abandoned trolleys to the company who owns it which they should collect within 24 hours. Bayside Council will impound trolleys that have been reported and identified, but not collected within 48 hours.

You can also report an abandoned trolley if it presents a potential safety concern through our Online services.

Reporting trolleys to retail companies

See details below for reporting abandoned trolleys to retail companies.

Woolworths, Dan Murphy's, Big W and IKEA Tempe

Call 1800 641 497 or report online using Trolley Tracker (also available in the App and Play Stores)

Coles, Kmart, Target and Officeworks

Call 1800 TROLLEY (1800 876 553) or report online using Coles' Abandoned Trolley form or download the Coles app (available in the App and Play Stores) and select "Report abandoned trolley


Call 132 534 or report online using Aldi's Lost Trolley or Catalogues form


Call 1300 554 777 or report online using Bunnings Contact Us form 


Call your local IGA

Loud noise and disturbances

Noise generated by ventilation machines, air conditioning units, vehicles, loud parties and construction sites can be a serious concern for residents, and may be cause for complaint. Noise can affect people in a number of ways, and can vary from inconvenience to sleep disturbance.

We recommend filling out a Noise Diary as a record when a raising a noise complaint to help us assess your report.

In responding to noise complaints, Council will consider We use the Protection of the Environment Operations Act 1997 to define “offensive noise” and determine if an activity is or has been environmentally unsatisfactory.

Call Customer Service on 1300 581 299, email or visit NSW Environment Protection Authority for more information.

Loud parties

Noise from house parties is not a criminal offence, but warnings and orders can be issued to help limit the noise if it is ongoing.

You can take the following steps if you're experiencing repeated instances of late night party noise from a neighbour:

  • Try talking to your neighbour about the noise to see if it can be resolved quickly and easily
  • Apply to the local court for an abatement direction to cease the noise or prevent recurring incidents under the Protection of Environment Operations Act (POEO). These court appointed directions are enforceable for 28 days after it is served, and noncompliance can result in penalties.

You can contact Police if the above doesn't resolve the matter and they can:

  • Issue a warning to a one-off party
  • Issue an abatement direction under the Protection of Environment Operations Act (POEO) to cease the noise, if warnings are ignored.

The NSW EPA has more information about dealing with noise.

Vehicle noise

Neighbourhood vehicles with a loud exhaust can be reported to the NSW Environment Protection Authority (EPA).

You will need to provide the following information to report a loud exhaust:

  • Name and phone number (kept confidential)
  • The registration plate of the vehicle (vehicles registered in NSW, ACT, QLA, SA and VIC only)
  • A description of the vehicle - make, model, colour and type
  • The street and suburb where the vehicle was observed
  • The date and time the vehicle was observed

Reports must be submitted within 14 days of observing a vehicle. The EPA will only take action on reports of loud vehicles where the source of the noise is the vehicle exhaust. Contact the EPA's Environment Line on 131 555 for more information.

Construction sites

Allowable Work Hours

We ask builders and site managers to comply with the following work hours:

  • Monday to Saturday 7am to 5pm
  • No construction to take place on Sundays or public holidays, except where a Development Consent is issued before 1 September 2021 which may identify other hours. The Development Consent can be found on the DA Tracker.

Works under Complying Development Certificates (CDC) can have different hours of construction approved under the State Environmental Planning Policy (Exempt and Complying Development) 2008

CDC hours are:

  • Monday to Saturday 7am to 5pm

Excessive construction noise

Contact the Certifier managing the site or a Council Certifier if you think there is an unreasonable level of construction noise coming from a site. Certifier contact details may be mailed to you before works commence, or can be found on the site fence.

Call Customer Service on 1300 581 299, or report using our Online Services.