The winner of the 2021 Ron Rathbone Local History Competition was announced on Thursday 9 December 2021.
This annual competition, which has been running for many years, honours the memory of Ron Rathbone OAM – a Councillor and former Mayor of the City of Rockdale who was also the author of several local history books.
The 2021 Ron Rathbone Competition attracted a great response considering the lockdown in place and Council received 21 submissions.
The four judges who assessed all the submissions were:
Anne Slattery, President of the Botany Historical Trust
- Dr Peter Orlovich, Archivist and member of Botany Historical Trust and St George Historical Society
- Dr Lisa Murray, City Librarian from City of Sydney Council
- Natalie Funston, Bayside Network Librarian
The judges were impressed by the range of local history topics explored and the enthusiasm demonstrated by all entrants.
The winner of the 2021 Open Category and Major Prize is Leonie Bell for Dappeto.
The judges found Dappeto a high quality and engaging story of Dappeto House, its owner and builder Mr Frederick Gibbins, and the girls who lived there when it was known as The Nest --- a Salvation Army home for girls.
Leonie will receive a certificate and $5000 in prize money. Dappeto will also be added to Bayside’s Local History Collection.
The judges also recognised 4 entrants for their strong effort and emerging talent in local history research -- these applicants are:
- Dan McAloon
- Kim Pastor
- Liz Bowring and Gabrielle McAnespie who provided a joint entry.
In the School Category, the following three entrants were recognised for their efforts:
- Annabelle Woo – Category 1 – Years K - 2
- Prachurjo Acharjee – Category 1 – Years 3 - 4
- Akshara Yadem – Category 2 – High School